Thursday, August 19, 2004

Interesting...but perhaps not best

OK, mea culpa. I'm falling down on the job. I promised a double super-duper best of the week and here it is Thursday and I'm off tomorrow again--I have some links for you, but they may or may not be the best ones, since I'm behind on my reading.

What can I say other than apologize that I'm behind because of this 3000 word Learning Circuits article I just finished writing? Go to www.learningcircuits.org and look for my Trends piece on "Content Copyright, the Commons, and the C Generation" in the next week. I'll post the direct link when I have it. In the meantime, here are some interesting articles I've collected this week and last. Things should be calmer next week--I promise!

"E-Learning and Language Change." This article from Internet journal First Monday "discusses the globalization of e–learning, changes in languages as an effect of distance technologies and the lingua franca of modern times, English, and its effects on other languages."

On The Wisdom of Crowds. Here's a good review of the hot book The Wisdom of Crowds, by How to Save the World blogger Dave Pollard.

Billionaire best practice: think weeks. This entry on the Fast Company Weblog tells how taking think weeks like Bill Gates could pay off for you--or maybe your staff or learners.

"Finding Content Pearls Within Your Organization." Another good posting from Amy Gahran on her Contentious Weblog. It tells how to find the content in your organization that people will want to read.

"Turning Slackers into Workaholics." This study wasn't really designed for the purpose of creating workaholics, but its results are interesting from a workplace standpoint. Blocking cells from receiving dopamine made monkeys work harder.

From Failure to Famous. This Webpage offers inspiring stories of people of renown who almost didn't make it. May be good fun facts for learners.

"Tweaking your Tech Etiquette." A short but interesting article about consultants who advise business people about how to use cell phones, laptops, and other electronic devices politely.

No comments: